Jeff on Twitter

Twitter Updates

Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In which someone else delivers the rant I really wanted to

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: In which someone else delivers the rant I really wanted to Reply with quote

Ok, my passion on the topic of young adult literature is well noted and has even earned me my own verb among certain circles. With that in mind, here's a link to a post by author Maggie Stiefvater that I think eloquently explains several reasons why people should stop making sweeping, dismissive generalizations about YA.

http://m-stiefvater.livejournal.com/147045.html
JeffKamin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you're wondering like I was, Beth clarified:

@jefe23 "To Dingmann" is now being used by some as a verb for when someone who is usually polite gets upset enough to shut someone down.
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth: thanks for the link. Would you (or Maggie) be willing to double down and provide a reading list for the dubious? Say, five titles published over the last five years that every person claiming to be well-read should read.

Perhaps Im risking getting Dingmannd here, but this is why I ask:

Im all for anything that will eliminate the elitism preventing serious readers from enjoying the excellent titles currently classified by the publishing biz as science fiction, mystery, YA, etc. A more diverse fiction landscape is good for everyone.

But heres the thing: I still dont read YA. And its not because I think YA is going down the toilet. Its because Ive got more titles on my to-read list than I can possibly hope to get to before I die, and new books coming out all the time. If Im going to spend time on a book, I need a reasonable assurance that its going to be worth my time. (I realize, of course, that this statement carries implications for me as well!)

And though people like you and me know that good books are good books, period, the publishing industry is still in the habit of confining certain titles in genre ghettos: shelves dedicated to sci-fi, mystery, romance, YA, etc. There are good books on those shelves, but theres also a lot of crap on those shelves, and its hard to tell whats what. Readers like me with more books than time have been trained that we stand the greatest chance of finding a decent book if we stay in the safe neighborhood of Fiction/Literature, and not stray too far into the other sections with their garish covers. If weve managed to find our way into another section of the bookstore, its probably because someone in the know (hint, hint) told us about a title or two that we absolutely MUST read, and we followed that book to another book, and before we knew it we were hooked.
JeffKamin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discussed this a bit with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It had been labeled YA at first, I think, and then they took that "restriction" off?

And it is very good, worth a read. Most of us loved it. Many of us cried like a little girl reading a YA book, too. Or boy.

I know Going Bovine has mentioned recently, too. But I get Andrew's point. Life is short. Read well. It's why I am not reading Harry Potter because I know I will read those to my boys when they are older. Probably goes for many YA novels. I have a slight delaying excuse. So Dingmann, are there ones I shouldn't wait for?
Beth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a tall order. I've got some colleagues mulling this over with me, and we'll try to come up with a handful of recommendations. I already know that The Book Thief was on all of our short lists, so if I could only recommend one title, that would be it. But since we read that for Books & Bars a while back, we'll dig a little deeper. (Interestingly, The Book Thief was published as an adult novel in Australia and then as a YA when it was acquired for U.S. publication.)

Anyway, I need some time to make sure I choosely wisely. I'll get back to you.
Beth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start with the disclaimer that, as Maggie Stiefvater points out, it's hard to state unequivocally which contemporary books will stand the test of time, simply because they haven't had a chance to yet. So do you HAVE to have read these titles in order to be a well read individual? Probably not. But I've recently read and loved:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (first book in a trilogy)
Going Bovine by Libba Bray (reading currently, and I've made it my new personal goal to befriend this author)

Highly recommended by our esteemed YA editor, Andrew Karre:

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by MT Anderson

And, finally, a shameless plug for the YA I spend the bulk of my time thinking about and which I truly believe in with all my heart: www.carolrhodalab.com. These are Fall 2010 releases, so you can't have them yet. But I defy anyone to read a title from our new Carolrhoda Lab line and then tell me it was written by formula.
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I have some reading to do.
jennifervasquez577

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Articles that are very important Reply with quote

For getting help for most of my reading experience, I go through the page and I would find reading pleasure as well as writing help from that page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Books & Bars Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: